When and how to prune deciduous trees?
Pruning deciduous trees is essential because it not only improves the structure and overall look of the tree but also prevents diseased branches from spreading the problem to healthy ones. On the other hand, when you cut branches of trees, you can reduce the woody plant’s vitality and make it prone to disease, especially if you remove major big branches. That's why it is of great importance to know what time of the year you should trim your trees.
So if you are asking yourself "When should I prune my trees?" or not sure how to prune deciduous trees, then keep on reading! In this article, we'll cover the best pruning techniques for common deciduous trees and the right season to do so.
When to prune deciduous trees?
Your trees' health depends a lot on what time of the year you prune them. For instance, most of the deciduous trees are pruned in the cold season, while others, like walnut and birch, will bleed sap if pruned then. Some trees are prone to silver leaf disease if pruned at the wrong time. Many people don't know when trees should be pruned and don't prune them at all. That is not the solution, as pruning is necessary to remove weak growth, vigorous growth and diseased branches.
That's why we've prepared this article, to get you familiarized with the most common deciduous trees in the UK, how and at what time of the year they should be pruned.
Deciduous trees that need late Spring to Summer pruning
Deciduous trees that need Summer pruning
Deciduous trees that need Summer or Winter pruning
- Pruning is essential to the tree's health maintenance and whilst many forest trees grow well without interference, landscape trees won't make it without our care.
- Inappropriate pruning can lead to many troubles and even shorten your tree's life. That's why you need to be familiar with the tree's biology and needs.
- Every new shoot has the potential to grow healthy and shouldn't be removed without reason.
- Trees are mainly pruned to improve light penetration and air circulation, and corrective measures won't necessarily improve their health.
Learn more about tree maintenance
More about tree and ivy maintenance
- Does ivy kill trees?
- Pruning conifers: Why and when is the best time?
- Does ivy damage walls?
- When should you trim and prune your hedges?
- Common Garden Weeds in the UK and How to Identify Them
- When to prune common UK shrubs?
- Tree Surgery Terminology and What Each Term Means?
Useful info from our blog
- Out of Control: How to Get Rid of Ivy (For Good)
- How Much Do Tree Surgeons Charge on Average in UK?
- What’s Your Tree Sign According to Celtic Tree Astrology